If you want to buy a product you see here simply click the pick or this link -> Stella for Star Amazon Store

Search This Blog

Monday, February 8, 2010

Cry Wolf

Author: Patricia Briggs

Another well written and captivating novel by Patricia Briggs. Unfortunately, as much as I loved it, I do have to pick on it a bit...

Anna's a Chicago girl born and raised, but recently her world's been thrown into chaos. After being unwillingly changed into a werewolf and then tortured by the Chicago pack's alpha, Anna has miraculously been rescued by Charles. Of course why let the chaos end there? According to Charles, whom she just met, Anna is his mate. Not only that, but she's an Omega, which in wolf terms is incredibly rare and special. After being swept away to Montana by Charles, Anna encounters way more than she ever expected and must quickly learn to use her gifts or everyone's lives could be at stake.

I will say that I do like the idea of an Omega wolf who doesn't obey the rules of pack order. And seeing as this is a paranormal romance, it's fitting that an Alpha and an Omega would be destined to be together. I also love the twists Briggs puts it and just when I thought she had exhausted her plot topics in the Mercy storyline she comes through with something fresh and exciting.

However-and maybe it's just cause I'm a huge fan of the Mercy novels-I don't feel as invested in the characters of Cry Wolf. I felt like I was being thrown into the middle of a story and I was grasping to find the beginning. I understand that Anna's had a whole life before the novel starts, but I would've liked more on Charles's rescue and maybe a nice flashback to Charles's first discovering that Anna is his mate.

I also don't particularly like the vagueness of an Omega's talents. With Mercy and her coyote shape-shifting there is room for more, but what she can do is fairly defined. Anna, on the other hand, has this ability to calm other wolves and oh yeah she can 'pull' magic, but maybe she's just taking that from Charles and so on and so forth.

I have yet to read the second novel in the series, so I've decided not to be overly upset with the vagueness presented in the first. It helps that Brigg's writing style tends to pull me in, so I may be able to overlook my frustration of Anna's talents not being tangible...I guess we'll just have to wait and see!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave your thoughts and suggestions!